If not, you should.
Allow me to introduce Jim Smith and Andy Brunhammer.
These guys are, in a word, AMAZING.
To give you a little background, I met Jim and Andy through a local quilt guild in 2010 when we lived in Tampa, Fl. They are such interesting and talented quilters — devoted Janome lovers — and have such a passion for tackling important issues, challenges, and continually stretching themselves creatively. I have followed their careers and artistic endeavors through the years, and helped on occasion when they’ve asked for advice or direction. It is such an honor to be associated with them and I know you’ll be interested in learning more about them, their quilts, and especially their new Hope Project which is a fantastic collection of 50 quilts made with 1000 origami-style, paper pieced cranes! Their work has been exhibited around the world and I’m sure they will continue to gather a wonderful following of quilters and fans as their popularity grows!
Jim was born in Kingston, Jamaica in 1951 and has lived in Hillsborough County, Florida for 37 years. Andrew was born in Wilmington, Deleware in 1961 and has lived in Hillsborough County, Florida for 29 years. Andy and Jim began quilting some years ago when Jim, as a part of his 1996 Masters’ thesis project, worked on the construction of a cottage industry to a corporate concern. Due to the demands of their respective banking careers, quilting, fabric, and thread were the furthest thing from their minds, hands, or time.
(To really see the image, step back from your screen a bit.)
Now retired Bankers, and as of 2010 and 2017, Andy and Jim decided to try to spend as much time as possible creating and experimenting with quilt designs, fabrics, their machines, and thread.
Jim’s degrees are in Bachelor of Education – Secondary English and Communication and Master in Organizational Management. Andy’s degree is in the field of Textile Engineering and both worked on their Master of Business Administration. All their quilt projects are completed in Tampa. Andy and Jim try to create, design, borrow, and beg their ideas from the past, the present, from those artists much more experienced, and at times from that which takes their fancy. Jim is constantly saying that he now understands why he took so many trigonometry and analytical geometry classes in the past. Both are always eager and willing to learn with each new quilt project, and now spend as much time as possible honing their skills.
Jim and Andy are currently working on their Hope Project which as a portfolio of Origami Cranes on quilts and wall-hangings. The Project will include about 50 Cranes Quilts designed and created by them both. You’ll find all kinds of interesting reading on Jim’s blog by clicking HERE.
To read even more about the Hope Project, click on these links:
Origami Cranes – Our Obsession – http://quiltsb.blogspot.com/2018/04/origami-cranes-our-obsession.html
Cranes Project Update – Cranes Spectrum Plus – http://quiltsb.blogspot.com/2018/05/cranes-project-update-cranes-spectrum.html
Other exhibits and shows include:
- 26 Pieces – Two Hallways – @2902 Gallery – Jimmie B. Keel Library, Tampa, Florida; August – September 2018
- One Piece – EssbeeCon – Equality 2018 St. Pete Gala – St. Petersburg, Florida; May 2018
- Two Pieces – Not A Partridge and Rainbow Cranes – UQSM Quilting & Sewing Marketplace; Sandy, Utah; May 2018
- Two Pieces (Juried) – Elation and OPOY – “Boys Just Wanna Have Fun Too” Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum; Golden, Colorado; February-May 2018
- One Piece (Juried) – June 19th –“Trip to the end of the world” Patchwork Europe 2017; Sainte-Marie-Aux-Mines, Alsace, France and traveling collection; September 2017-2018
- 13 Pieces – “Our Show 2017” – 8 Fabric Artists, UUC, Clearwater, Florida; December 2017-January 2018
- 1 Piece (Juried) – Lee Miller – HERstory – October 2017-2019 – Traveling collection.
- 1 Piece (Juried) – OPOY – MQX Quilt Festival – West – Springfield, Illinois; September 2017
- 3 Pieces (Juried) – Warhol’s Itch, Wings, and Elation – Cider Press Café Exhibit, St. Petersburg, Florida; May 2017
- 2+ Pieces – Espalda and Frente – collaboration with Ya Levy La’Ford, Equality 2017 St. Pete Gala – St. Petersburg, Florida; April 2017
- 1 Piece – ES20 – Equality 2017 St. Pete Gala – St. Petersburg, Florida; April 2017
- 1 Piece – ET20 – Equality 2017 Tampa Gala – Tampa, Florida; February 2017
- 2 Pieces (Juried) – Memorial to Dag Hammarskjöld and Sonia Delaunay – MQX Quilt Festival – New England – Manchester, New Hampshire; April 2017
- 3 Pieces (Juried) – Apollo 1 The Beginning, Betwixt and Between, and Cosmo’s Moon 2.5 – Fly Me To The Moon – November 2016-2019 – Traveling collection.
- 1 Piece – Parity – Equality 2016 St. Pete Gala – St. Petersburg, Florida; May 2016
- 1 Piece (Juried) – Diamonds – “No Girls Allowed” Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum; Golden, Colorado; January-April 2016
- 2 Pieces (Juried) – Equality and Sleep Jezebel – MQX Quilts Festivals – New England; August 2015
- 2 Pieces (Juried) – Sleep Jezebel and Warhol’s Itch – The Festival of Quilts 2015; Birmingham, England; August 2015
- 2 Pieces (Juried) – BW 2010 and Tampa Kaleidoscope – “Splash of Color” Quilt & Fiber Art Show – Cabarrus, North Carolina; 2015
- 2 Pieces – Chopsticks and Warhol’s Itch– Home Machine Quilting Show, Sandy, Utah, April 2015
- 11 Pieces – Fiber Expressions – 6 Fabric Artists, UUC, Clearwater, Florida; October-November 2014
- 1 Piece (Juried) – Warhol’s Itch – The World Quilt Show – New England; Manchester, New Hampshire; August 2014
- 1 Piece (Juried) – Blumish Two – “Evolutions 2014” – Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum; Golden, Colorado; July-October 2014
- 2 Pieces (Juried) – BW 1950 and BW 2010 – “ Notable Women Quilt Initiative” and Traveling collection – Rogue Art Quilters of Ashland, Oregon; 2014
- 2 Pieces (Juried) – Blumish Two and Cosmo’s Moon– “MANifestations” – Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum; Golden, Colorado; April 2014
- 3 Pieces (Juried) – Light Bringer, Sea and Sky, and Diamonds – Hoffman Challenge and Traveling collection; Mission Viejo, California; 2013-2014
- 3 Pieces (Juried) – Colored Windows II, Coral Steps, and MEM911 – International Quilt Festival of Ireland; Galway, Ireland ; June 2013
- Various other national and international shows and exhibitions, 2018-2011.
Awards, publications, and other recognition include:
- Quilts SB – a Fine-Tune Partnership; Meetin’ Place: Jim and Andy Brunhammer – Quilters Newsletter, by Lori Baker, June/July 2016
- BW 2010 and Tampa Kaleidoscope – 1st and 2nd Awards – “Splash of Color” Quilt & Fiber Art Show – Cabarrus, North Carolina; 2015
- Cosmo’s Moon – Faculty Award – MQX Quilt Festival; Pacific Northwest; Portland, Oregon; 2013
- Quilting becomes new careers for Carrollwood guys – The Tampa Tribune, Jeff Berlincke, May 19, 2013
- Tampa Lightning – Judge’s Choice – Diamond State Quilt Show; Newark, Delaware; 2013
- EssbeeCon – Judge’s Choice – Mancusco Denver National Quilt Festival; Denver, Colorado; 2013
- Quilts SB, Tampa, FL – McCall’s America Quilts Together, 2012
- I Really Love Lucy – Judge’s Choice – MQX West Show; Portland, Oregon; 2012
- MQX Announces Winners – eyeQ News, Quilters Newsletter by Bill Gardner; April/May 2012
- Mondrian 1 – 1st Place – Splash of Color Fiber Art and Quilt Show; Concord North Carolina; 2012
- Colored Windows II – Judge’s Choice – MQX West Show; Portland, Oregon; 2011
- Coral Steps – 1st Place – HMQS; Salt Lake City, Utah; 2011
I feel incredibly blessed just to know them and call them friends and I know we’ll continue to see great things from this dynamic quilting duo!