Oh, how we appreciate the prayers and for so many of you reaching out regularly to check on us. Thank you. Prayers are coveted and we believe each and every one is heard! It is difficult to try to explain everything that has happened. We’ve gone from storm to storm to storm; both figuratively and literally. It seems we’ve been in crisis/survival mode for months; most assuredly since last fall. At times, it almost seems comical. No one could — or would — believe all we’ve endured but honestly, you can’t make this stuff up, folks.
I’ll try to summarize but the bottom line is, we’re all currently OK. We survived the historic blizzard more than three weeks ago, but our home did not. It was catastrophically damaged. We’ve been limping along gingerly while making fast plans to move out. In fact, we had the packers and movers scheduled to begin today. And what hit today? Another blizzard. Another two feet of snow and possibly up to 5 or 6 inches of rain predicted before it is all over. Moving plans are again on hold. The stress we’ve been living under has been intense. Our deck is unsalvageable but the danger now lies in how much more damage will continue to occur to the structure of the house and when it will become too dangerous to remain here. Hotel living is not only expensive, but no hotel will take seven cats (our four cats and our boys’ three cats, who are currently here). We’ve spent the past week removing everything from the house that is irreplaceable. I’ve been working with our insurance company and various contractors. The demolition will be costly and dangerous. So far, only one contractor is even willing to consider the job. And no one can — or will — do anything while there is still so much snow on the ground. It’s a Catch-22 situation.
Here’s what we do know. There is a big move and yet another transition in our future. We will be leaving California and moving to Colorado. Very soon. The majority of our household goods are still in Australia and not yet on a cargo ship headed to the US, which will take four months once they are underway. It will be awhile before we can put everything back together. I have moments of being completely overwhelmed; I think it is understandable considering all we’ve been through just getting out of Australia and back to the US. (Someday, I may share the overwhelming odds and hardships we went through to make that happen. It’s quite a testimony.) But during those moments of fear, anxiety and overwhelming doubt, I remember that God’s got this and I only need to take things one day at a time. One step at a time. One breath at a time.
We still covet your prayers, thoughts and good wishes. Right now, as I sit here watching the terrible blizzard outside and hearing the wind gusts at 40mph shaking the damaged deck and our cabin, I’m praying and envisioning warrior angels holding everything together so we can get through this storm in tact. We’re packed and prepared for an emergency evacuation if we need to, but I hope that won’t happen. We simply need to get through this storm and look forward to the sun returning so the packers and movers can come and the next new chapter can begin.
If you’re facing the storms of life — no matter what they may be — I pray for you and send hope and good wishes your way that a sunny new beginning is on your horizon, too. Hang in there. We’ll breathe through the storms together. Remember: one breath at a time.